2 Samuel 5:13-16
And David took him more concubines and➡ wives out of Jerusalem, after he was come from Hebron: and there were yet sons and daughters🔥 born to David.
And these be the names of those that were born unto him in Jerusalem; Shammua, and Shobab, and Nathan, and Solomon,
Ibhar also, and Elishua, and Nepheg, and Japhia,
And▶ Elishama, and Eliada, and Eliphalet.
2 Kings 25:25
But it came to pass in the seventh month, that➡ Ishmael the son of Nethaniah◀,⏩ the son of Elishama,⏪ 🌟of the seed royal🌟, came, and ten men with him, and smote Gedaliah, that he died, and the Jews and the Chaldees that were with him at Mizpah.
And said unto him, Dost thou certainly know that Baalis the king of the Ammonites hath sent ▶Ishmael the son of Nethaniah◀ to slay thee? But Gedaliah the son of Ahikam believed them not.
And said unto him, Dost thou certainly know that Baalis the king of the Ammonites hath sent ➡Ishmael the son of Nethaniah⬅ to slay thee? But Gedaliah the son of Ahikam believed them not.
💡 Ishmael the son of David, many generations removed ?
1. Ishmael is the son of Nethaniah who is the son of Elishama. Neither Nethaniah or Elishama were kings.
2. Ishmael is “of the royal family” tells us he is not a current contender for the throne but is the son of a historic king.
3. Nethaniah is Ishmael’s direct father as seen in Jer 40:14 which lacks the phrase “of the royal family” and lacks the “grandfather” Elishama.
🔥 “and said to him, “Are you well aware that Baalis the king of the sons of Ammon has sent Ishmael the son of Nethaniah to take your life?” But Gedaliah the son of Ahikam did not believe them.” (Jeremiah 40:14)
4. When Elishama is mentioned as an ancestor it must be significant in some way, since in two passages when Elishama is named the phrase “of the royal family” is also present.
5. Elishama is the connection with the king and the only possible king that could be is David.
🔥 In the listing below all 13 children were born to David through Bathsheba.
💥Solomon is the focus of the list and this explains why there were four before (and including) Solomon and 9 after Solomon.
💥”These were born to him in Jerusalem: Shimea, Shobab, Nathan and Solomon, four, by Bath-shua the daughter of Ammiel; and Ibhar, Elishama, Eliphelet, Nogah, Nepheg and Japhia, Elishama, Eliada and Eliphelet, nine.” (1 Chronicles 3:5-8)
6. Even though Elishama was born to David and Bathsheba over 400 years before Ishmael, it was known that Ishmael was the son of David through Elishama.
🌟 Just as sons of Aaron formed three priestly clans, so to the sons of David formed separate well known clans.
🌟 It cannot be Zedekiah because he was too young to father a grandson.
🔥 Ishmael is the son of Nethaniah, and grandson of Elishama who in turn is the son of Josiah